Many interpretations have been made of Daniel's vision in chapter 8 of the book of Daniel. I do not think that the interpreters ever imagined that an army could attack "without touching the ground".
1. In the third year of King Belshazzar's reign, I, Daniel, had a vision, after the one that had already appeared to me.
2. In my vision I saw myself in the citadel of Susa in the province of Elam; in the vision I was beside the Ulai Canal. See Map
3. I looked up, and there before me was a ram with two horns, standing beside the canal, and the horns were long. One of the horns was longer than the other but grew up later.
Gabriel explains in Daniel 8:20: ” The two-horned ram that you saw represents the kings of Media and Persia.”
The Ram was Sadam Hussein-Media(Kurds)/Persian King. The two Horns are his sons Udday and Qusay Hussein. I watched the ram as he charged toward the west and the north and the south. West: Israel, North: Kurds, South: Kuwait.
No animal could stand against him, and none could rescue from his power. He did as he pleased and became great.
5. As I was thinking about this, suddenly a goat with a prominent horn between his eyes came from the west, crossing the whole earth without touching the ground.
Gabriel explains in Daniel 8:21: “The shaggy goat is the king of Greece, and the large horn between his eyes is the first king.”
Because the goat came from the west across the whole earth with out touching the ground, the goat represents the USA. The USA attacked Iraq without touching the ground. The surrounding countries from the north clockwise are Turkey (the would not allow the USA to set up a base in their country.); Iran (enemy of the USA); Kuwait (although liberated by the USA in the first Gulf War, Kuwait refused to allow the USA to have a base in their country.); Saudi Arabia (Allowed the USA to use its airbases in the first Gulf War, but refused access to the USA; Jordan (Refused to cooperate with the USA). The USA attacked by air and by the Persian Gulf.
6. He came toward the two-horned ram I had seen standing beside the canal and charged at him in great rage.
7. I saw him attack the ram furiously, striking the ram and shattering his two horns. The ram was powerless to stand against him; the goat knocked him to the ground and trampled on him, and none could rescue the ram from his power.
Russia, Syria, France, Germany, Iraq, and others protested this war. The USA attacked with the Coalition of the Willing. With the exception of England most of this coalition was powerless. So, the USA truly acted unilaterally. The rest of this prophecy appears to be in the near future, I will not speculate because there is no way to determine the exact nature of these events.
What do you think?